Interac e-Transfer – just like sending cash, only now from your online or mobile banking
Interac e-Transfer is a simple, convenient, and secure way to send and receive money directly from one bank account to another. All you need is access to online or mobile banking through a participating financial institution, and you can send money to anyone with an email address or mobile phone number and a bank account in Canada — without sharing any personal or financial information. It's a great alternative to cheques and cash.
How your Interac e-Transfer is protected
With Interac e-Transfer, your money never actually travels by email or text message. Email and text messages are only used to notify the recipient and to provide instructions on how to deposit the money. Your financial institution and your recipient’s financial institution transfer funds using established and secure banking procedures.
Interac e-Transfer rely on several security measures
- Encryption technology
- Confidential user IDs and passwords issued by financial institutions
- A secure login process
- A security question and answer to ensure only the intended recipient receives the money
The benefits of Interac e-Transfer
- Send and receive money directly from and to your existing bank account
- To send an Interac e-Transfer, all you need is the recipient's email address
- Never share personal or financial information with the people you send money to: keep your address, phone number and account information private
- The security question protects your transfer from being deposited by unintended recipients
- No need to set up new accounts, user ID or passwords — you're already in online banking
- Email and/or text message carries the notification, so no need to get stamps or to find a mailbox
Tracking your transfer
As a sender - Interac e-Transfer confirmation numbers are saved in your online banking history. In addition, you will receive an email notification and/or text message once the intended recipient has accepted the transfer.